07 December 2023
Record visits to Old Fashioned Christmas in Å!
Old-fashioned Christmas at Å was very popular this year. We had a special guest, the famous and beloved fire brigade bear Bjørnis together with the fire brigade from Moskenes-Flakstad, Vestvågøy and Harstad.
The first Saturday in December has been the most important day at Å for 33 years. On that day, the Norwegian Fishing Village Museum arranges Old-fashioned Christmas. It’s a day to meet, chat and be together. The sponsors help connect the whole of Lofoten on this day. Moskenes Husflidslag began the Old-fashioned Christmas tradition in Å, together with the Fishing Village Museum in 1990. Since 2022 the Norwegian Fishing Village Museum has taken over the entire event.
2023 stands out. We have thought about children, and had the vision to get Bjørnis to Å. We have worked hard, received a lot of support and help, and built good cooperation with the local contractors.
The dream came true! We have dressed Å in Christmas lights and Christmas decorations. The red fire trucks, local associations, organizers and not least all the guests from small to large have filled Å with life and joy on Saturday 2nd December. With about 500 visitors, we reached a record visit.
The list is long, let’s show, how many people got involved this year!
- Brannbamsen Bjørnis with 2 shows.
- Christmas market with 10 local exhibitors
- Open Manor with ticket sale and Christmas story
- The Mosque Red Cross exhibited.
- The fire department with 3 Fire Engines exhibited.
- Vedskjåen Kafe-Brygga Restaurant opened for the day.
- Sørvågen Maskin og Transport with exhibition, free reflective vest for children and competition.
- The bakery in Å was open with fresh cinnamon rolls.
- Husmansstua with donut and raffle sale
- Doughnut baking in the kitchen
- The prayer house: Advent time with the priest.
- Christmas tree walk with Lofotodden Musikkorps.
- Jager and Fiskeforening Moskenes exhibited.
- Visit from Nissefar and Nissemor.
- Raffle sales and souvenirs in Gammelbutikken.
- Lions Club
- Christmas workshop and face painting at the café (jam glass snow globe, Christmas jewelry, beeswax candles, Christmas cards)
- Rebus race. Prize was free ice cream
We’re proud of the stats for 2023:
15 local volunteers helped us get everything in place, sell lottery tickets and bake and sell cinnamon rolls and donuts. The bakery made 600 cinnamon rolls!
We have collected winnings from 124 individual sponsors and packaged 488 winnings. We ran out of jam jars in the Christmas workshop and really enjoyed those activities.
Thank you so much to everyone who has sponsored the event, exhibited, visited us, or followed us.
See you next year, we can’t wait!