The photograph shows the children’s parade on 17 May 1904 in Narvik. The parade has passed Narvikgården and marches led by the boys’ corps tambourine further up into the city. The Corps is in uniform and equipped with wooden rifle. The White House with flags was initially LKAB’s laboratory (Havnegata 24). In the background we see LKAB’s office and several official residences in the area where the central station at DEMAG 50 years later was built.
The Ofotbanen Railway
The 43 kilometre long railway line from Narvik to riksgrensen is a continuous series of cultural-historical treats interspersed with beautiful scenery and dizzying views.
Life in Rombaksbotn
The community in Rombaksbotn was established when the second attempt to build the Ofotbanen railway started.
Opening of the Ofotbanen railway
On 15 November 1902, the Norwegian Ofotbanen railway was connected to the Swedish Malmbanan on the National Border. The following summer there was a tablecloth for a feast dinner and a royal visit.
Narvik Municipal Photo Collection
Narvik Museum manages the Narvik municipal photo collection consisting of around 215,000 photographs. Part of the collection is presented on digitaltmuseum.no.
Playful children, the Monument of Freedom, the 4th Corner
"Playful Children" is cast in bronze and made by Thorsen who participated with the sculpture at the Autumn Exhibition in 1963. Narvik municipality bought the sculpture in 1963, and it was placed in Byparken in 1965 pending the final design of the Peat Area.
Ole W. Lund
Ole W. Lund sits at the railway line at the intersection of Djupvik, where the railway stop ended about 8 km from Narvik.