Exhibitions >

Power station

One of the larger objects at Ballangen Museum is a part of the control panel from the Bjørkåsen power station. The mining company Bjørkaasen Gruber’s ever-increasing power demand resulted in the construction of a new power station in Bjørkåsen, completed in 1921. The new power station provided opportunities for expansion of mining operations, and at the same time provided electric light and heat in addition to better water supply to the town’s population. The power station was the first in Norway where both pipelines and power plants were in the mountains.